Nothing that controversial YouTube star Logan Paul has done so far would get him banned from YouTube, CEO Susan Wojcicki said Monday at the Code Media conference in California.
The video platform, which recently removed Paul’s ability to monetize any of his YouTube content, has a “three strikes” policy, suggesting that anyone who consistently and deliberately breaks YouTube’s community guidelines will be banned for good.
“He hasn’t done anything that would cause those three strikes,” Wojcicki said. “We can’t just be pulling people off our platform. They need to violate a policy. We need to have consistent [rules]. This is like a code of law.”
Paul shot to internet infamy in December after posting a video that appeared to show a corpse in a notorious suicide hotspot. He later apologized for the video and took a month off from the channel.
But he has since posted other controversial clips, including one of him shooting a dead rat with a taser, which one might think would run afoul of YouTube’s ban on “violent or gory content… primarily intended to be shocking, sensational, or gratuitous.” At the Code conference, Wojcicki was asked by moderator Kara Swisher why YouTube doesn’t just boot Paul from the service (the discussion begins at a 4:40 mark in the video above).
“What you think is tasteless is not necessarily what someone else would think is tasteless,” Wojcicki added. “We need to have consistent laws, so that in our policies, so we can apply it consistently to millions of videos, millions of creators.”
YouTube has terminated accounts before. In 2016, a channel named Boots666 was removed after its owner uploaded a series of graphic videos of live animals being crushed by someone wearing heavy military grade footwear. Last year, Veronica Bouchard, aka Evalion, was banned after uploading several racist and anti-Semitic videos.
Felix Kjellberg, aka PewDiePie, made headlines in September 2017 after slipping a racial slur into one of his videos. It wasn’t the first time for Kjellberg either, who attracted criticism for using an anti-Semitic punchline in a previous video. Following the last controversy, Kjellberg, like Paul, was temporarily unable to monetize his YouTube uploads.
Speaking with USA Today earlier this week, Joshua Cohen, co-founder of TubeFilter, said the ad ban had “an impact” on Kjellberg and believes that Wojcicki is doing the right thing with Paul. “The power of YouTube is that it gives anyone a voice. It’s okay to have programming on the platform that doesn’t appeal to everyone… It’s a huge platform getting a lot more attention, so there’s a greater responsibility. These are growing pains.”